Book now
x

Newsletter

Sign up here for the Hotel-Residence Klosterpforte newsletter (German language only)

History of the Klosterpforte

The Hotel-Residence Klosterpforte is situated in a romantic spot directly in front of the gates of an 800-year-old monastery. The monastery in Marienfeld, once founded by Cistercian monks, soon developed into the most significant Order of the Middle Ages in the north of Germany. Today, the church is a popular destination due to its precious art treasures and the calm and contemplative atmosphere.

Already in 1412 one of the monks made a drawing of the grounds of the monastery in Marienfeld. The layout, walls and individual buildings have not changed much since. The monastery church was built in the time from 1185 to 1222 and is now used as a parish church. It is the first church in Westphalia built of bricks. More than 400 years later the adjacent abbey building was added where numerous conferences and events take place today.

The hotel is named after the large stone gate at the entrance. The former Klosterpforte (monastery gate) is meanwhile the main entrance to the premises. Starting as a small guesthouse with ten hotel rooms, today it is a huge hotel complex covering 180,000 square meters leaving nothing to be desired.

On the one-kilometre-long tour of the premises a total of 12 steles along the path inform visitors about the history of the monastery and the grounds as well as the foundation of the monastery and the individual buildings on the premises.

Chronicle

In our chronicle you can see historic pictures of the Klosterpforte (monastery gate) and the development of the area up to the present day.

10. April 1953

10. April 1953

The family of Anneliese Austermann (later Frie) purchases the Klosterpforte by auction – on the same day business at the guesthouse begins.

1954

1954

After marrying Anneliese Frie, Reinhold Frie senior joins the business and lays the foundations for the Hotel Residence Klosterpforte as it is today. In the next few decades the Klosterpforte becomes the local bar for numerous local shooting clubs and sports clubs. The reputation of the small hotel rapidly establishes itself and word of the good Westphalian cuisine, the friendliness of the two innkeepers and the cosiness of the Klosterpforte spreads.

19. November 1988

19. November 1988

The Frie family buys the Meier-Viehmeyer-Hof including the premises on which the pitches, the sports hotel 11 and also the country house now stand.

January 1990

January 1990

After a thorough refurbishment the first event takes place in the barn.

1994-1995

1994-1995

The former pigsty on the courtyard is turned into a residential building for Reinhold and Barbara Frie.

1997

1997

Reinhold Frie senior passes the management of the Klosterpforte on to his son Reinhold Frie junior. After completing his training as a chef and hotel manager he takes over the hotel business.

1998

1998

The old hotel building undergoes fundamental refurbishing. It its place a new building complex is built including a large wellness area with a sauna, swimming pool, hotel rooms as well as business and conference rooms. Even the main entrances and reception are newly designed. Today, the “Tower” of the new building is one of the landmarks of the hotel.

January 2002

January 2002

The first big wedding fair takes place at the Klosterpforte. The fair is extremely successful and quickly establishes itself as a regular event. Today, the wedding fair at the Klosterpforte is well-known far and wide.

May 2002

May 2002

The Klosterhof is refurbished. A physiotherapy and wellness centre is built.

December 2003

December 2003

The Hotel-Residence Klosterpforte is the official FIFA World Cup lodging.

March 2004

March 2004

The lakeside fishing hut now also belongs to the building complex of the Klosterpforte. In close coordination with the Office for Conservation of Historical Monuments in Münster the little half-timbered house is refurbished and given a decorative beamed roof construction. Nowadays it is used for smaller celebrations and weddings directly next to the lake.

26. August 2005

26. August 2005

The Rincklakehaus celebrates its roofing ceremony. The house, which is protected as a historic monument, was removed from its original place and erected on the Klosterpforte grounds. For this purpose it was disassembled in thousands of individual parts and put together again like a jigsaw puzzle where it stands today. At the same time the building was thoroughly refurbished.

28. April 2006

28. April 2006

The sports hotel 11 is ceremonially opened. The hotel offers optimal conditions for sportsmen and sportswomen. Apart from a sauna, ice cube bath, steam bath, fitness room and the possibility to have physiotherapy sessions the sports hotel also has a swimming pond.

June 2006

June 2006

The Portuguese national football team moves into its World Cup lodging at the Klosterpforte and triggers off World Cup enthusiasm of a special kind. Never before has a national football team stayed so long at a hotel!

20. August 2007

20. August 2007

The Rincklake restaurant is officially opened.

30. Dezember 2007

30. Dezember 2007

A special day in the history of the hotel. Reinhold Frie junior purchases the abbey building right next to the monastery church. The building protected as a historic monument with an area of more than 400 square metres is refurbished from scratch.

March 2009

March 2009

Opening of the KlosterCafé (formerly Glascafé) after comprehensive refurbishing and renovation.

May 2009

May 2009

Cheers! In the refurbished abbey cellar the first home-brewed monastery beer is tapped.

2011

2011

During the entire year 90 hotel rooms are thoroughly refurbished and modernised.

2012

2012

The old horse stables behind the abbey are refurbished and are now known as the “lakeside house”, a place to rest and enjoy the wonderful view of the countryside.

December 2012

December 2012

The Klosterpforte now has its own star chef. Patrick Speck is awarded his first Michelin star and turns Rincklage’s kitchen into a gourmet restaurant.

March 2014

March 2014

After 7 years of construction work the refurbishing of the old abbey is completed.

April 2014

April 2014

The wellness area is thoroughly refurbished.

September 2014

September 2014

Carina Frie and Christopher Schemmink join the management.

April 2015

April 2015

The conference centre with its four conference rooms is refurbished and equipped with the latest technology.

June 2015

June 2015

The new fitness barn is opened. A modern fitness studio of 100 square metres is available to guests in a barn, which is protected as a historic monument.

Location Award 2018 Gewinner